CWPP PRIORITY #4 Community: Nipinnawasee
Nipinnawasee is located north of Ahwahnee on California State Highway 49 near the Mariposa county line.
Location: Sections 13, 24, R20E, T6S
Population: 112 dwelling units with numerous outbuildings
- Large areas of heavy concentrations of grass and brush mingled amongst structures
- Narrow winding roads with hazardous fuels encroaching one or both sides of the road
- Highway 49 north towards Mariposa
- Highway 49 south towards Oakhurst
- Roadside fuel reduction by Cal Fire, P. G. & E. and Madera County Road Department on roads within the community
- Intermittent compliance inspections for PRC 4291 regulations by fire officials
Priority Mitigation Needs
- Citizen involvement to reduce fuels on their property and to utilize fire-wise construction techniques to improve structure survivability
- Continued roadside fuel elimination or reduction along roads within the community
- Fuel reduction on Sierra National Forest land adjacent to the community on the east side by the use of harvesting or thinning projects
- Implement a PRC 4291 compliance inspection program within the community
Through homeowner association or town hall type meetings, develop and promote community specific programs designed to inform and involve the community on wildfire mitigation plans, escape routes, potential shelter-in-place locations, and activities that could reduce the risk to citizens, property and community assets.